fall background

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

My Hero...

Well now...it's done. Dr. Piedad is a superhero in my eyes. As nervous as I was about my surgery from about a week out until the morning of, when Billy and I left for the hospital I felt a calming peace over me. I was anxious not about getting the ablation done but just wanting to get it over with and on with my life. After all...I am too young to be dealing with heart issues.

My original plan was to get up and eat at 5am. Well, I didn't get up and therefore missed my opportunity to eat my last meal before surgery. On the way to the hospital, my stomach starts grawling. Nice! I won't be able to eat until like 5pm and I am already hungry.

We get to Wellstar Kennestone Hospital 45 minutes before I had to be there. Found our way to the Blue Tower and went through the registration process. It was really quiet smooth. Leaving there we found the blue elevator and went up to the cardiac floor. From there they asked Billy to wait in the family waiting room. I was then taken back and given an EKG and had to do bloodworm. After that Billy was allowed to come hang out with me.


Then we just had to wait until 1:00. I had several visitors before I went into surgery. At 12:45 my nurse started moving me into the operating area. The OR was pretty neat. They had big screen tvs that the team used to see what was going on in my heart and keep up with my vitals. The played music the whole time. The nurses were very nice and explained what was going on the entire time. They really made me feel comfortable.

After the procedure, I got to visit with family while I had to lay flat for four hours. I passed the time by watching tv and playing on the iPad. I really felt bad for Billy. He was so tired. He did get much sleep the night before and needless to say he was beat. After being discharged at about 9:30, Billy and I went through the drive through at Arby's to grab a bite and headed on home to get some much needed sleep.

Let the recovery begin!

1 comment: